Award winning, culture conscious, national non-profit looking for a Data Scientist/Machine Learning API Developer.
The Location: No Preferred Location
Salary Range: $90,000 – $125,000 plus benefits
Who we are as an organization:
The Recycling Partnership was created with a clear, bold vision: transform recycling across America by making it is as easy to recycle as it is to throw things away. Through leading partnerships, we create thriving community recycling systems. Since 2015 we have achieved year over year growth and are regarded as a leader within the recycling industry and the broader sustainability and circular economy networks.
Act with Intention and Integrity, Embrace Change and Drive Action, Play Well with Others and Have Fun are just a few of the core values we live by. We have a fast-paced culture of innovation, compassion, integrity and continual learning that doesn’t just exist, but is continuously cultivated so that we always remain employee-focused. Take a look at this short video about The Recycling Partnership team.
The Data Scientist is a member of The Recycling Partnership’s Technical Assistance team, which is responsible for providing operational and communications technical assistance to state and local government recycling programs nationwide, with the goal of increasing recycling, reducing contamination and building solutions that serve the entire supply chain. We currently track recycling programs nationwide, including how they collect, how a citizen gets access, which facility they send their material to and how much they are recycling annually. We’d like to expand this database to include other publicly available information, but we’d like to reduce the labor required to achieve this. That’s where you come in.
The Data Scientist must have strong skills in working with public machine learning APIs, including those available from Azure, Apple and Google Cloud; ability to work independently and remotely; have a strong curiosity for improving the performance of the algorithms; experience implementing production machine learning systems; significant back-end API programming experience; and have a passion for improving the environmental outlook for the planet.
The position will be solely focused on building a tool that leverages computer vision and test processing APIs to translate each community’s unique recycling guidelines into a standard list of acceptable materials. The long-term goal is for this tool to integrate with any search engine or smart speaker to give residents locally relevant and correct data on what is recyclable in their community. The Data Scientist will work closely with our Data Architect and other members of our Technical Assistance team.
Key responsibilities for your role will include:
80% VISION AND TEXT PROCESSING OF MATERIAL GUIDELINES: The Partnership has a specific grant to expand their national database to include acceptable materials in each community. In tandem with a manual data gathering exercise, this project will test the viability of fully automating the processing of material guidelines into a standard list of acceptable materials.
10% TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE WITH OTHER PARTNERSHIP SYSTEMS: The Partnership is growing their data management and cloud data integration capabilities. This position will provide expertise and guidance in the development of these systems.
10% RESEARCH: Work hand-in-hand with Partnership staff, other stakeholders, or independently to conduct research, or collaborate on projects, that drive best management practices to generate more, better recycling and help improve recycling systems nationwide.
- 4-year degree, Advanced degree preferred in computer science, mathematics, statistics, theoretical science or similar discipline
- Minimum of 2+ years of experience integrating with machine learning APIs
- Minimum of 2+ years of data processing experience (JSON, SQL, ETL, etc.)
- App development experience using a common language (Swift, Objective-C, etc.)
- Strong data management skills (e.g. ingestion pipelines, repeatable output analysis)
- Experience tagging datasets for training machine learning algorithms
- Project management, communications, and people skills.
Desired Expert Skills:
- Experience in Computer Vision and Text Processing APIs, specifically, training a custom vision algorithm to recognize common household objects using Azure, Apple or Google Cloud
- Cloud data ingestion including setting up pipelines using Data Bricks, SSIS, Talend or other ETL tools
- Experience extracting individual objects from an image with many relevant and non-relevant objects
- Experience with text extraction and text mining algorithms
- Ability to automate the processing of JSON data returned from API calls, extract needed data, analyze and export to a database
- Evaluate viability of creating a production algorithm
- Strong research skills and the ability to conduct research as the member of a team or independently.
- Ability to summarize and present results to the wider team, both technical and non-technical colleagues
- Solid time management, prioritization skills, and clear ability to both work independently and be a team player.
- Intellectual curiosity. Continued professional and personal growth.
Why Should You Apply?
The Recycling Partnership is just that – a partnership. Mission driven, our team is made of a group of individuals with varied backgrounds working together because we are positive changemakers! We all have something unique that we bring to the team – what will be your contribution? Joining our team means you will be encouraged to grow, learn, build friendships and have fun all while transforming recycling for good!
Where do you send your info?
Please email resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Tell us not only how you meet the qualifications listed above, but why you want to be a part of this team and what you want to bring to it.
The Recycling Partnership is an equal opportunity employer and values a diversity in our employees!