Location: This position may be located anywhere within the Unities States however the preferred location is Chapel Hill, NC. While the main location for this position is Chapel Hill, we are a team that works at a National level across all states. Regular travel is required.
Reports to: Chief Community Strategy Officer
Position: Full time, 40 hours per week, exempt employee
Who we are:
The Recycling Partnership was created with a clear, bold vision: transform recycling across America by making it as easy to recycle as it is to throw things away. Through leading partnerships, we create thriving community recycling systems. Since 2015, we have achieved year over year growth and are positioned as the leader within the recycling industry as well as the broader sustainability and circular economy networks.
Act with Intention and Integrity, Embrace Change and Drive Action, Play Well with Others and Have Fun are just a few of the core values we live by. We have a fast-paced culture of innovation, compassion, integrity and continual learning that doesn’t just exist, but is continuously cultivated so that we always remain employee-focused.
How we work:
- Focused on transforming recycling for good across the United States with a focus on mission, action, and measurement of our impact.
- Actively committed to our Core Values and what they stand for: Act with Intention & Integrity; Embrace Change & Drive Action; Partnership is Part of our Name for a Reason, Play Well With Others; Pursue Growth and Learning; Have Fun; Be your Whole Self and finally, Take Time to Reflect and Dream.
- Employee-focused. Take a look at this short video about The Recycling Partnership team.
- Collaborative in our approach to success.
- Dedicated to excellence in everything we do.
A Director of MRF Advancement is a new, exciting position within The Recycling Partnership. This position will be responsible for designing how The Partnership supports and grants materials processors for improved capture of recyclables. The Director of MRF Advancement must understand the recycling system as a whole and how the stakeholders work together throughout the supply chain. This position must have strong interpersonal and project management skills; management experience working for, or with, materials recovery facilities and/or MRF equipment providers. Solid communication skills; a desire to work with others, and a strong independent work ethic, which aims to seek, use and create data and best management practices that will equate to increased recycling tonnage, improved quality of recycling; are also must-have qualities for this position. Finally, the Director of MRF Advancement must have a passion for the mission of the organization to improve the national recycling infrastructure.
It is imperative that this position has experience with material processing and local government recycling. This position should have a strong understanding of MRF operations. The Director of MRF Advancement will support the Chief Community Strategy Officer to engage funders on MRF support, granting progress and quantifying impacts. This position will also be responsible for working with the Circular Ventures Team, industry coalitions and collaborators, to create best management practices that help materials processing grow and improve to ultimately help community recycling programs thrive.
CORE RESPONSIBILITIES FOR THIS JOB
Key responsibilities for your role will include:
- 40% – Materials Processing Support and Grant Program Design: This position will work with Partnership teams and industry coalitions to build a robust program that supports and grants MRFs and other potential processing facilities. The goal of this new Partnership initiative is to provide financial and technical support for facilities that recover and/or process recyclable material to recover more material more effectively and efficiently for end markets. This position will be responsible for developing the process for support and granting, cultivating MRF and equipment relationships, and designing criteria and protocols for MRF engagement.
- 40% – MRF Support and Granting: Independently build relationships with MRFs and other materials processors throughout the United States. Identify needs for facilities to recover specific commodities and provide grants to catalyze equipment or processing investments while providing technical assistance as needed. This position will be responsible for identifying the opportunities, entering agreements with facilities, following up to ensure all obligations are met, and leading efforts to quantify impacts. The partnerships and agreements with facilities will go beyond equipment grants. Partnership’s will need to involve elements of support to ensure responsible and sustainable sorting and marketing of material. This position will also work closely with the Community Engagement Team to align with community program improvements and possible messaging approaches.
- 20% – Reporting and Measurement: Impacts for all grants must be projected, tracked and reported. This position will be responsible for tracking all metrics and reporting results to The Recycling Partnership members as well as industry coalitions partnering on MRF improvement efforts. Analytical skills and basic financial modeling of the results will help build the business case for others in the industry to invest. In addition to tracking specific program results, this position will be responsible for keeping The Recycling Partnership MRF database up to date and analyzing the data for reporting purposes. This MRF database is also used to find opportunities for MRF and processing interventions.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS FOR THIS JOB
- 4-year degree or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum of 10+ years of experience working for, or with, a MRF or materials processing and marketing with demonstrated understanding of local recycling operations.
- Strong project management, communications, presentation, and interpersonal skills.
- Experience with scoping multi-stakeholder projects.
- Experience with data management (excel, access, online database, etc.)
Desired Expert Skills:
- Grant administration experience.
- Experience working with, or for, MRF equipment manufacturers.
- Understanding of recycling system and how the stakeholders work together throughout the supply chain, from material generation to end markets. Organization’s material focus is on traditional recyclables including bottles, cans, paper, and containers.
- Business Development experience.
- Strong research skills and the ability to conduct research as a member of a team or independently.
- Strong analytical skills and experience with project economics.
- PowerPoint knowledge to build and create exciting presentations for conferences and workshops.
- Strong relationship skills with a passion for listening and understanding a processor’s needs and then generating tailored solutions.
- Solid time management and prioritization skills.
- Ability to work independently and with a team.
- Intellectual curiosity.
- Continued professional and personal growth.
Why Should You Apply?
The Recycling Partnership is just that – a partnership. Mission driven, our team is made of a group of individuals with varied backgrounds working together because we are positive changemakers! We all have something unique that we bring to the team – what will be your contribution? Joining our team means you will be encouraged to grow, learn, build friendships and have fun all while transforming recycling for good!
Where do you send your info?
Please email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Tell us not only how you meet the qualifications listed above, but why you want to be a part of this team and what you want to bring to it.
The Recycling Partnership is an equal opportunity employer and values a diversity in our employees!