Location: Anywhere in the U.S., but ideally with good airport access; state capital is preferred
Reports to: VP of External Affairs.
The Recycling Partnership’s legislative and policy priorities focus on influencing, developing, and passing collection policy for residential recycling. This is an incredible opportunity to advance environmental policy, improve our country’s economy, and work with state and federal environmental agencies across the U.S.
The Director will coordinate closely with colleagues on the external affairs team to inform direction, provide research to, educate, and engage policymakers at the state level in order to influence critical state policies that drive effective, consistent, and impactful recycling solutions across the U.S. The Director will also work convening and helping drive change with government affairs professionals with The Recycling Partnership’s funding partners, which represent all aspects of the circular economy value chain from brands and retailers of all sizes to recyclers and users of all material types.
Working with teams across functions within The Partnership, including Communications, Marketing and Corporate Engagement, Circular Ventures, and Legal Affairs, the Director will help achieve public policy goals to improve residential recycling in multiple states targeted by The Partnership.
WHO YOU ARE:
We’re inclusive, so we want you to be yourself! We celebrate and support the differences that makes each of us unique and appreciate the culture-add that each new employee brings to our organization. Because the External Affairs team works with a robust group of internal and external stakeholders, this job will be well suited to you if you:
- Have a proven ability to successfully execute public policy, political, and advocacy objectives required.
- Are a proven consensus-builder with varied stakeholders (business, government, nonprofit)
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required.
- Recycling experience is a plus but not required.
- A minimum of 5-7 years of professional experience in government relations, government service, lobbying, political consulting, federal and state campaigns, and/or public policy with a corporation, NGO, state legislator, regional organization, or trade association required.
- Experience in advocacy, demonstrating a high level of understanding of state policy and regulation development is required.
- Experience working with a variety of public and private-sector officials across the political spectrum, and a strong network of contacts with government officials, including members of state legislatures or their staff, as well as state policymakers and/or regulators a must. An ability to leverage relationships to influence positive outcomes is paramount to this position.
- Excellent political skills as well as judgment, demonstrated leadership, management ability, and strong and diplomatic interpersonal skills is needed to be successful in this position. The ability to develop and manage productive relationships with a range of diverse interests while working as part of a team, fostering consensus, and collaborating with partners is a must.
- Applicant should be a strategic thinker with excellent written and verbal communication skills, including public speaking and experience interacting with the media.
- The ability to thrive in a creative, fast-paced, and highly professional corporate culture that emphasizes excellence, collegiality, and teamwork is a must.
Demonstrated self-starter with experience in managing and developing staff and project management preferred.
WHAT WE WILL TRUST YOU WITH
- As a key member of the External Affairs team, assist in developing comprehensive state recycling and circular economy policy strategies. Work with funding partners and Partnership staff to raise the profile of the organization along with its goals and objectives with state legislators, agency staff, and key stakeholders whose involvement will be key to adoption of these policies by states
- Develop and execute state-specific strategies and help shape the future of recycling collection policy.
- Work with senior leadership to develop, drive, and implement The Partnership’s policy goals relating to state government relations
- Assist as needed and coordinate with similar and parallel efforts by the External Affairs team in other states and at the Federal level
- Engage and participate with the external affairs team in other related Partnership initiatives as well as organization-wide communications, outreach, stakeholder engagement, and funding partner development and retention efforts
- Work closely with leading companies and the rest of the External Affairs team to develop coalitions and target capabilities, including stakeholder mapping and work with associations, companies, and other coalitions to realize team goals
- Maintain a comprehensive understanding of legislation, emerging issues, and industry trends in assigned markets and be prepared to present on them in relevant internal and external stakeholder meetings, workshops, and conferences
- Monitor and track proposed state legislation and ballot measures, analyze proposed legislative, administrative, and ballot measure actions in assigned markets, assess the potential impact on The Partnership and the U.S. residential recycling system, and formulate appropriate responses
- Establish and maintain interactive contact with executive, legislative, and regulatory branches of states where assigned
- Work collaboratively with the rest of the External Affairs team in their development and execution of Federal and state policy efforts
- Develop and maintain relationships with elected and appointed officials and other external constituencies, organizations, trade associations and other stakeholders to achieve organizational goals Direct contract lobbyists and consultants in assigned markets as needed to assist in state efforts
WHO WE ARE:
The Recycling Partnership is the leading action agent a rapidly growing, action-focused nonprofit, overhauling the U.S recycling system and activating a circular economy for packaging. We work on the ground with thousands of communities to transform underperforming recycling programs and tackle circular economy challenges. We work with companies to make their packaging more circular and help them meet their climate and sustainability goals. And we work with government to develop the policy solutions that will address the systemic needs of our residential recycling system.
HOW WE WORK:
We are actively committed to our Core Values and what they stand for: Act with Intention & Integrity; Embrace Change & Drive Action; Partnership is Part of our Name for a Reason, Play Well with Others; Pursue Growth and Learning; Have Fun; Be your Whole Self, Take Time to Reflect and Dream and finally Stand Up and Speak out for Equity and Inclusion. We have a fast-paced culture of innovation, compassion, integrity, and continual learning that does not just exist, but is continuously cultivated so that we always remain employee-focused.