Location: Remote, anywhere in the U.S.
Reports to: VP of External Affairs
Position: Full Time 40 hours per week, exempt employee
Who we are:
The Recycling Partnership was created with a clear, bold vision: transform recycling across the United States by making it is as easy to recycle as it is to throw things away. Through leading partnerships, we create thriving community recycling systems. Since 2015, we have achieved year over year growth and are regarded as a leader within the recycling industry as well as the broader sustainability and circular economy networks.
Act with Intention and Integrity, Embrace Change, and Drive Action, Play Well with Others and Have Fun are just a few of the core values we live by. We have a fast-paced culture of innovation, compassion, integrity, and continual learning that doesn’t just exist, but is continuously cultivated so that we always remain employee-focused.
How we work:
- Focused on transforming recycling for good across the United States with a focus on mission and measurement of our impact.
- Actively committed to our Core Values and what they stand for: Act with Intention & Integrity; Embrace Change & Drive Action; Partnership is Part of our Name for a Reason, Play Well With Others; Pursue Growth and Learning; Have Fun; Take Time to Reflect and Dream, and finally, Stand Up and Speak Out for Equity and Inclusion.
- Always remain employee-focused. Take a look at this short video about The Recycling Partnership team.
- Collaborative in our approach to success.
- Dedicated to excellence in everything we do.
The External Affairs Manager helps drive the development and implementation of strategies and tactics designed to impact policy needed to advance The Recycling Partnership’s and The Circular Economy Accelerator’s objectives through strategic partnerships with government and other industry groups.
A primary function is to work with policymakers, leaders of government, industry councils, lobbyists, and funding partner companies to ensure all advocacy efforts are integrated and policy positions are developed with consideration given to the interests of The Circular Economy Accelerator and The Recycling Partnership.
CORE RESPONSIBILITIES FOR THIS JOB
- Manage day-to-day operations supporting the External Affairs team to progress policy objectives of the organization through project management, developing tasks and timelines, and development of assets for various workstreams
- Establish and maintain relationships with policy makers, political advisers, civil servants, non-departmental public bodies or regulators to keep them informed about the organizations’ work and policy concerns
- Monitor state and local government action that is relevant to the organization’s work and provide analysis of these for senior staff members
- Research and draft public affairs documents (i.e. white papers, press releases, presentations, etc.)
- Support funding partner development and engagement around the Accelerator and The Partnership’s policy and public affairs work
- Forge relationships and maintain alignment with key NGOs and stakeholders in the policy space.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS FOR THIS JOB
- At least 8 years of overall professional experience required.
- 3 – 5 years of public affairs experience preferred.
- Excellent project management and organizational skills. The ability to work independently and be a self-starter.
- Excellent writing and speaking skills: to write briefings, elected official communications, research reports, as well as develop and give presentations internally and externally.
- Great networking skills: networking skills are essential in this role. Possess the ability to confidently approach and engage a diverse range of people. This needs to be allied to the ability to stay in touch with decision-makers and retain contacts.
- People management skills: with all stakeholders and staff.
- Information gathering and synthesizing: the ability to synthesize reams of new information is a key skill that is required of this role. To keep abreast of ever-changing political developments and advise senior staff of the implications for the organization.
- Political knowledge: an intimate knowledge of the political process in the U.S. is crucial.
Why Should You Apply?
The Recycling Partnership is just that – a partnership. Mission-driven, our team is made of a group of individuals with varied backgrounds working together because we are positive changemakers! We all have something unique that we bring to the team – what will be your contribution? Joining our team means you will be encouraged to grow, learn, build friendships and have fun all while transforming recycling for good!
Where do you send your info?
Please email resume and up to three work samples to email@example.com. Please be sure to have “External Affairs Manager” in your subject line. Tell us not only how you meet the qualifications listed above, but why you want to be a part of this team and what you want to bring to it. If you have any questions along the way, please don’t hesitate to email us.
The Recycling Partnership is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity.