Location: Anywhere within the United States
The Recycling Partnership team is looking for an innovative, future-focused, and action-oriented Behavior Change Business Director (The Director) to lead the development and expansion of our new Center for Circular Behavior Change. As the Director, you will not only develop and implement the strategic growth plan for the Center, but you will also build and support the cross-functional team that will launch the Center. You can consider yourself an entrepreneur, standing up a new business focused on consumer behavior.
As The Director, you will work closely with the CEO of The Recycling Partnership and lead the launch of the Center for Circular Behavior Change through strategic business initiatives to advance recycling and the Circular Economy in the U.S. This role will focus on business and project strategic planning, relationship building and development for sustained growth, creation of campaigns and content that results in measurable improvements to recycling and circular economy behaviors, coordination with strategic industry partners, and communication and change management.
WHO YOU ARE:
We’re inclusive, so be yourself! We celebrate and support the differences that make each of us unique and appreciate the culture-add that each new employee brings to our organization. Since the Center for Circular Behavior Change is a new initiative, this role comes with specific challenges and will be well suited to you if you:
- Are an innovative thinker, with an action-oriented track record. You can think outside the box for possible solutions and then implement them.
- Are an enthusiastic and supportive leader. You actively listen to colleagues and stakeholders, hear their ideas, and support them in pursuing them when possible.
- You like turning ideas into action and have experience launching activities, engaging partners, and measuring impacts. Have the innate desire to dig in and get your “hands dirty” when the project requires it.
- Are a natural relationship builder. Building relationships with stakeholders at various levels from c-suite to support staff.
- You have a creative spark in your business approach. You use your experience in business applications to make solid decisions and look for ways to make things better.
- You are committed to protecting the planet.
WHAT WE WILL TRUST YOU WITH – and how you will use your strengths.
Setting and Implementing a Strategic Growth Path
- Create a strategic growth plan for the Center for Circular Behavior Change
- Provide teammates with opportunities and requirements that support the growth of the Center
- Develop and maintain solid strategic relationships with key stakeholders to grow the Center
- Translate insights from the Center into consumer-focused campaigns and content that results in measurable improvements to recycling and circular economy behaviors
- Understand and communicate to Partnership leaders both the risks and the potentials of prospective new initiatives
- Research emerging advancements and trends in the industry
- Take on new challenges and continuously explore new growth areas for the business.
Leading your team through Coaching
- Offer trust to your team members and allow them autonomy to do their job in the way they do it best.
- Offer real-time feedback for both celebrations and improvement
- Look for opportunities to enhance their growth within the organization by offering them learning opportunities and mentorship
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to deliver results without direct authority
- Ensure you are ready to jump in and help as needed, you are both a leader and a team player.
- Set a good example of pace and work standards for your team so that they do good work, without forgoing personal downtime.
- Be a champion for their advancement and offer them stretch opportunities when possible.
AREAS OF KNOWLEDGE & EXPERTISE – things that matter most for this role
- Personal alignment with our Core Values
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, marketing, finance, or related field; master’s degree is advantageous.
- Strong consumer research acumen
- Proven track record of turning ideas into action and results.
- Project management and budget management skills
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making skills.
- Exceptional leadership and management skills.
- Effective communication and negotiation skills.
- Strong business acumen.
- Detail-oriented and persuasive.
- A real curiosity about strategic thinking
- Knowledge of behavior change, the recycling industry, and/or Circular Economy is a plus
WHO WE ARE:
The Recycling Partnership is a rapidly growing, action-focused nonprofit, overhauling the U.S recycling system and activating a circular economy for packaging. We work on the ground with thousands of communities to transform underperforming recycling programs and tackle circular economy challenges. We work with companies to make their packaging more circular and help them meet their climate and sustainability goals. And we work with government to develop policy solutions that will address the systemic needs of our residential recycling system.
HOW WE WORK:
We are actively committed to our Core Values and what they stand for: Act with Intention & Integrity; Embrace Change & Drive Action; Partnership is Part of Our Name for a Reason, Play Well with Others; Pursue Growth and Learning; Have Fun; Be your Whole Self, Take Time to Reflect and Dream and finally Stand Up and Speak out for Equity and Inclusion. We have a fast-paced culture of innovation, compassion, integrity, and continual learning that does not just exist, but is continuously cultivated so that we always remain employee-focused
OUR COMMITMENT TO DEI:
The Recycling Partnership has called community, company, and industry partners to listen, learn and do more to uphold equality. We pledge to do the same by applying the following strategies:
- Inside our organization, we foster a culture of belonging through inclusion efforts and commit to diversifying our staff and our board through thoughtful and intentional recruitment and continuous learning so that the spirit and essence of DEI are embedded in all our actions, values, and communications.
- Externally, we are working with communities to help increase equitable recycling access, education, and participation while also conducting much-needed research to fully understand the gaps so we can better serve BIPOC populations who are historically underserved and under supported. We are integrating a multicultural lens into all our workstreams to ensure consideration of diverse perspectives is core to our efforts.
- Within our industry, we are supporting the advancement of people of color through the creation of a fellowship program. By bringing young, brilliant minds into this historically monochromatic industry, we will propel the diversification and equitable representation of all people that make up the cultural mosaic that is America.