Laura Thompson, Senior Director of Strategic Projects
As The Recycling Partnership’s Senior Director of Strategic Projects, Laura uses her technical skills, collaborative nature, and deep recycling background to explore projects within the film and flexible packaging space. Laura has 30 years of industry experience in sustainability and the global pulp and paper industry in a wide breadth of capacities including research and development, mill environmental initiatives, and product and sustainable development. Her passion for reducing the environmental impact of industry culminated in serving as Director of Sustainability for Sappi North America for 12 years.
Why I Care About Recycling
“Recycling and reuse of materials has always been a focus in my personal and professional life. Reducing the need for precious natural resources and raw materials benefits everyone as well as the planet. I believe we can all do better.”
Personal Passions and Interests
Laura has a newfound passion for pickle ball, when not traveling with her partner in search of the perfect kayaking spot.
- Master’s Degree and Ph.D. in Paper Science from the Institute of Paper Science and Technology
- Contributing Author: The Recycling Partnership’s 2020 State of Curbside Report
- Blog and Webinar: Thinking Beyond the Bag
- Judge: University of New Hampshire Social Innovation Challenge, UNH Social Innovation Challenge
- Award Recipient: 2013 William D. Schaeffer Environmental Award
- Award Recipient: Girl Scouts of Maine Woman of Distinction Award 2018
- Interviewed for 50th Anniversary Smithsonian Magazine Print and Paper article: April 2020 Smithsonian Magazine
Contact Laura to continue the conversation on reducing our impact at lthompson @ recyclingpartnership.org