The Circular Economy Accelerator convened leaders across the value chain to devise a policy solution to solve the challenges of the U.S. residential recycling system at scale.
“By taking a collaborative, multi-material approach, this proposal serves as an important reminder that it will take all stakeholders coming to the table to develop the right solutions to achieve a circular economy. Advancing efforts to upgrade the recycling system is a critical step in achieving our ambition to make 100% of our packaging recyclable or reusable by 2025. Together, we can create a recycling system that works for all.”
– Nicole Collier, Nestlé Corporate & Government Affairs
Our collaborative public-private policy solution includes:
- A Packaging and Printed Paper Fee paid by private sector brands to support residential recycling infrastructure and education, and
- A Disposal Surcharge on waste generators to help defray recycling operational costs for communities.
The U.S. residential recycling system is in critical need of help.
Recycling faces a multi-billion-dollar funding gap in order for Americans to recycle as easily as they throw things away.
Our policy proposal provides solutions to:
- Invest in Infrastructure
- Develop Recycling Education Programs
- Support Recycling Operations
“This proposal presents a major opportunity to address the recycling challenges facing America today. Importantly the proposal requires brands to partner with government to provide needed funds to invest in building a robust and resilient U.S. residential recycling system.”
– Tom Langan, Director, Corporate Affairs, Communications & Sustainability, Unilever
Supported by Industry Leaders