Location: Remote; Anywhere in the Continental US, ideally with good airport access
Reports to: Public Policy & Government Affairs Director
Position: Full time, 40 hours per week, exempt employee
The Public Policy & Government Affairs Manager supports the Public Policy & Government Affairs (“Policy”) Team of The Recycling Partnership. Reporting to the Director of Public Policy & Government Affairs, this position is responsible for analyzing and researching recycling and circular economy policy, as well as supporting the Policy Team project management and stakeholder outreach. This position must work to ensure all advocacy efforts and policy solutions are integrated and developed in alignment with The Recycling Partnership’s organizational mission to mobilize people, data, and solutions across the value chain to unlock the environmental and economic benefits of recycling and a circular economy. Finally, the Manager will support stakeholder mapping, coalition development and circular economy education efforts at all levels of local, state, and federal government.
The Recycling Partnership’s legislative and policy priorities focus on influencing, developing, and passing collection policies for residential recycling. This is an incredible opportunity to advance environmental policy, improve our country’s economy, and work with a team of dedicated, hard-working individuals who are an integral part of the core values of The Recycling Partnership.
CORE RESPONSIBILITIES FOR THIS JOB
The Public Policy & Government Affairs Manager is responsible for analyzing and researching recycling and circular economy policy. Must have a proven ability to analyze and evaluate relevant recycling collection policy. Incredible attention to detail and organizational skills are must-haves. The potential to thrive in a creative, fast-paced, and highly professional atmosphere a plus – and in an organizational culture that emphasizes excellence.
What we will trust you with and how you will use your strengths
60% – Policy Accelerator Support
- Support the Policy Team’s strategic planning, goal setting, and workstreams
- Utilize a number of online platforms (e.g., Notion, Airtable, Microsoft Office) to manage team Action Items, To-Dos, stakeholder meetings, etc.
- Prepare slides and take notes for recurring meetings
- Update and maintain bill tracking database for accuracy of information and sharing of resources
- Manage contract distribution list, calendar invitations, and team records
- Coordinate and document correspondence with key policy stakeholders
- Identify and coordinate opportunities to submit public comments to government officials and entities on behalf of the organization
- Prepare materials for general outreach and education
- Organize meeting communications with stakeholders and record and synthesize stakeholder feedback
25% – Support the development of policy guidance and recommendations on effective circular economy and recycling policies
- Draft recommendations and descriptions of key elements for effective recycling policies that will advance a circular economy in the U.S.
- Identify research needs and data gaps for the purpose of advocating to policymakers on recycling collection policy
15% – Review relevant recycling and circular economy legislation and policy activity
- Monitor and analyze pertinent state and federal recycling legislation and policy activity
- Develop one-pagers and other informational tools to communicate policy positions and recommendations
- Communicate policy updates and implications to key internal and external audiences
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS FOR THIS JOB
- Superior organization, project management, and prioritization skills are required
- Strong writing skills – the ability to translate complex processes and systems into digestible and entertaining one-pagers, reports, blogs, and other written formats
- Experience in multi-stakeholder engagements and relationship building
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
- Ability to gather and interpret new information
- Knowledge of the political process in the U.S. is critical
- (Preferred) 2+ years of overall combined public policy and government affairs experience
Who we are:
At The Recycling Partnership, we are solving for circularity. As a mission-driven NGO, our team is committed to advancing a circular economy by building a better recycling system. We are mobilizing the people, data, and solutions across the value chain to reduce waste and our impact on the environment while also unlocking economic benefits.
Our team works:
- on the ground with thousands of communities to transform underperforming recycling programs
- partners with companies to achieve packaging circularity, increase access to recycled materials, and meet sustainability commitments
- works with government to develop policy solutions to address the systemic needs of our residential recycling system and advance a circular economy.
To learn more about The Recycling Partnership, our mission, our vision and our team, visit https://recyclingpartnership.org/about/
How we work:
- Focused on advancing circularity through transforming the recycling system in the United States with a focus on mission, action, and measurement of our impact.
- Actively committed to our Core Values and what they stand for: Act with Intention & Integrity; Embrace Change & Drive Action; Partnership is Part of our Name for a Reason, Play Well with Others; Pursue Growth and Learning; Have Fun; Be your Whole Self and finally, Take Time to Reflect and Dream.
- Employee-focused. Take a look at this short video about The Recycling Partnership team.
- Collaborative in our approach to success.
- Dedicated to excellence in everything we do.
What we can offer:
A comprehensive employee benefits package including:
- Health insurance options under United Healthcare
- Dental & Vision insurance
- Employer paid Life, STD, and LTD insurance
- 11 paid holidays
- 4 weeks of mandatory vacation a year (office closures)
- Unlimited PTO
- 12 Weeks Paid Parental Leave
- 403(b) Retirement Plan with company match
- 529 Education Savings Plan
- Home Office Stipend – $1,500/year
A company culture that’s unbeatable and includes:
- Work/Life Balance – we don’t just say it, we actually mean it
- Flexible schedules
- Career Growth
- Learning and Development Opportunities
- DEIB Seminars and Courageous Conversations
and so much more…