Scott Mouw, Senior Advisor of Strategy and Research
Scott brings extensive experience in taking a systems approach to recycling. In his previous role as North Carolina’s State Recycling Director, Scott led efforts in fostering local collection programs, implementing recycling policy, and building a recycling economy. Scott joined The Recycling Partnership to deploy the same lessons of success to the national scale. Core to this work has been understanding the nuances of each material, the nature of recovery economics and markets, and the necessary role of metrics and data in creating a resilient and responsive recycling system. Whether it’s the fine points of curbside collection, the basic MRF business model, or understanding how the supply of available material reacts to market demand, Scott is ready to engage with all stakeholders across the recycling spectrum.
Why I Care About Recycling
“I care about recycling because of its power in delivering the things we need right now: reduced greenhouse gases, protection of habitats and vital resources, and creation of a sustainable economy.”
Personal Passions and Interests
When he isn’t working on recycling system change, Scott can be found on a bike, in a kayak, or in the garden at his family’s home in Raleigh, North Carolina.
- Master of Public Administration and Master’s Degree in American History from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- Lead Author: The Recycling Partnership’s 2020 State of Curbside Recycling Report
- Lead Author: The Recycling Partnership’s 2020 Guide to Community Material Recovery Facility Contracts
- Contributing Author: The Recycling Partnership’s 2019 Bridge to Circularity Report
- Author: “Steps to a Win-Win,” Resource Recycling Magazine August 2020
- Co-Author: “Navigating the Path,” Resource Recycling Magazine, July 2016
- State Representative: S. EPA Dialogue on Sustainable Financing of Recycling
- Lead Author: NC DEQ Study on the Effects of Degradable Plastic on Recycled Feedstocks
- Author: “All in the Same Boat,” Resource Recycling Magazine, April 2011
Let Scott know how you want to help build a strong U.S. recycling system at smouw @ recyclingpartnership.org