Louise Bruce, Managing Director, Center for Sustainable Behavior & ImpactShe/Her/Hers
Louise Bruce is the Managing Director of The Recycling Partnership’s Center for Sustainable Behavior & Impact, which designs evidence-based solutions to drive measurable improvement in residential recycling behaviors and mobilize household participation in the circular economy. Louise has previously held leadership positions at the San Jose Conservation Corps, where she led zero waste and emergency operations, and at the New York City Department of Sanitation where she advanced organics-focused initiatives, from community composting to curbside collection of food waste, in service of its nearly 9 million residents. She holds a Master of Urban Planning from New York University and BA from Cornell University.
Why Louise Cares About Recycling and a Circular Economy
Trash has been a life-long fascination of Louise’s. From an early age, she led clean-ups in Washington, D.C.’s Rock Creek Park and devoted school projects to exploring waste. The moment she knew that materials management and the circular economy would be her life’s central passion and career focus was when she transformed a vacant lot into Compost for Brooklyn, a community composting project with her neighbors in Brooklyn, New York. Seeing food scraps transformed into compost to in turn revive depleted urban soils and grow an oasis in the heart of New York City was a transformative experience. What started as a waste diversion effort quickly became a resilient and active community space where Louise cultivated deep relationships with her community and a vision for a circular economy that helps all people.
Personal Passions and Interests
When not at work, you will find Louise with her family, including pups Olive and Ida, exploring the outdoors in Upstate New York, planning community gatherings, or dabbling in pottery.
- The Recycling Partnership Newsroom: Center for Sustainable Behavior & Impact to Drive Improvement in Recycling Behavior and Boost Confidence in U.S. Recycling – https://recyclingpartnership.org/center-for-sustainable-behavior-impact-to-drive-improvement-in-recycling-behavior-and-boost-confidence-in-u-s-recycling/
- Article: “Industry group launches project to gather data, share solutions” – https://resource-recycling.com/recycling/2022/08/23/industry-group-launches-project-to-gather-data-share-solutions/
- 30 Under 30 Award Recipient, University of California Global Food Initiative: https://30under30.universityofcalifornia.edu/winners/louise-bruce/
- Article: “Louise Bruce Empowers Communities Through Composting” – https://foodprint.org/blog/louise-bruce-empowers-nyc-communities-by-advocating-for-citywide-composting/
- Article: “People Are Awesome: Meet The Woman Who Needs To Make 8 Million New Yorkers Compost” – https://www.good.is/articles/people-are-awesome-louise-bruce
- Author, NYC Master Composter Manual: https://www.nyc.gov/assets/dsny/docs/nyc-master-composter-manual-mcm.pdf
- Master of Urban Planning, New York University
- BA in China and Asia-Pacific Studies, Cornell University
Reach out to Louise to connect on behavior change at firstname.lastname@example.org.